Sex crime allegations in California demand aggressive defense and immediate legal attention from an experienced Sacramento sex crimes attorney. If you have been accused of a sex crime, it is important to have an expert represent your case in order to preserve your reputation. Learn more about the nature of sex crimes in California below.
What is a Sex Crime?
In California, a sex crime is any non-consensual act relating to unwelcomed sex or sexual touching. Sex offenses can range from suggestive behaviors or verbal abuse to physically violent attacks. Types of sec crimes can include:
- Rape, including statutory rape
- Solicitation of prostitution
- Sexual assault or abuse
- Lewd conduct
- Internet sex crimes
- Child pornography
- Molestation or sexual conduct with a minor
- Indecent exposure or public indecency
Sex crimes are one of the most complex cases since they are typically private and between only two individuals. For this reason, it is important that you contact a Sacramento sex crimes attorney to help review and build your defense as soon as possible. Chastaine Law has over 30 years experience defending complex cases relating to sex crimes and has the knowledge to help build your defense.
What are the Punishments for a Sex Crime in California?
Prosecutors and judges take sex crimes very seriously, and a conviction could destroy your reputation. Not only will future employers and landlords be able to view this information, but it may also be seen by family, neighbors, friends, or colleagues. The punishments for a sex crime in California can include:
- Sex offender registration
- Excessive fines and/or fees
- Loss of your right to own a firearm
- Forfeiture of assets
- Immigration consequences
Sex Offender Registration in California
While some sex offenses such as indecent exposure or solicitation are misdemeanors which result in fines or short jail time, convicted sex offenders are required to register on the state and national registries. These more severe offenses may include rape, molestation, and child pornography.
In the United States, these offenses are broken down into three tiers:
- Tier 1 – The first tier is the least severe and typically requires the offender to register for 15 years. Examples may include public indecency or possession of child pornography.
- Tier 2 – Second tier offenders are more severe offenses, but are non-violent. These require the offfender to register for 25 years with verification twice a year. Examples of this category include sexual conduct with a minor, production of child pornography, and sex trafficking of minors.
- Tier 3 – Offenses committed in the third category usually require lifetime sex offender registration with quarterly verification. Third tier sex crimes include both violent and non-violent offenses, including rape or assault, sex with a child under 12 years old, and false imprisonment of a child under 18.
If you are facing sex crime allegations in California, talk to your Sacramento sex crimes attorney. Without proper representation, you may face severe convictions which are easily accessible by the public. Chastaine Law can help you find your best defense strategy and will aggressively represent you in court. Call us today for a free initial consultation and protect your future.
Protect Your Reputation – Talk to a Sacramento Sex Crimes Attorney Today
At Chastaine Law, we know exactly what is at stake when you are accused of a sex crime. When you hire a Sacramento sex crimes attorney at our firm, we will do everything possible to advocate for you and keep your record clean. Michael Chastaine has successfully built sex crimes cases and defended our clients for 30 years and can fight to protect your reputation as well. Request a free, confidential consultation today and begin building a solid defense by talking to a Sacramento sex crimes attorney at Chastaine Law.