The “How to Survive Series” of Books by Attorney Mike Chastaine
– Mike Chastaine, Criminal Defense Attorney for Over 32 Years
Books are written by one of Northern California’s premier criminal defense attorneys, Mike Chastaine
How to Survive a DUI Arrest: What You Need to Know
A DUI is never part of anyone’s plan, and it can significantly alter the course of their future. As an experienced DUI attorney, I’ve received thousands of phone calls from people that are scared, nervous and unsure of what to do next. I wrote this book to provide many of the answers.
If you have been arrested for a DUI and are unsure of your next steps, this book can act as an informative supplement to your DUI attorney’s counsel. Please take advantage of our free consultation so we can review the specifics of your case.
- How to act with the police
- Arrest and Bail information
- What a DUI means for your license
- How criminal proceedings work
- What are proven DUI defenses
- What to do if you’re being sued in civil court
- Restitution and accident information
- And more…
How to Survive a Criminal Arrest: What You Need to Know
Being charge with a crime is scary and there is a great deal of uncertainty. As an experienced criminal defense attorney for over 32 years, I’ve seen it all. Each year I receive hundreds of phone calls from people that are unsure of what to do next. I always give them my book to read so that they have a basic understanding of how the system works. People need to understand the process so they can know what to expect. Once they have a basic idea, we can then start working together to formulate the best possible defense. I believe in working with my clients as a unified team.
If you have been accused of a crime, you need to read this book and take advantage of our free consultation.
- What to do after an arrest
- What is an arraignment and pretrial hearing
- What happens at a preliminary hearing
- What to expect in court
- How a criminal conviction impacts your employment
- How to rebuild your life, relationships and career prospects
- And more…
How To Survive A Sex Crime Allegation: What You Need to Know
Sex offenses are different than any other type of crime. These charges are extremely serious and difficult to defend. One could honestly say that once an allegation has been made – especially involving a child, that the deck is stacked against you.
Jury’s hate these cases. District Attorney Offices have specialized units to prosecute these types of cases. The rules of evidence are different, and information that would never be allowed before a jury in a regular case can be admitted in a case involving allegations of sexual misconduct with a child. In short, these cases are very complex and the consequences are life-changing.
This book is designed to provide a basic understanding of some of the issues that arise when a person is either being investigated or has been charged with some sort of sexual misconduct. It is not a substitution for strong legal counsel. This book focuses mostly on child sexual assault allegations because those types of cases have special rules and considerations.
- What a pretext call is and how to protect yourself
- Why you never want to talk to the police
- The types of evidence that the prosecution will try to use to convict you
- What are the various types of court appearances
- Why having a strong team on your side is critical
- And more
How to Survive a Domestic Violence Arrest: What You Need to Know
Domestic Crime allegations have far-reaching consequences. For most people, it is a very difficult experience. They are in shock this is happening to them and afraid of what is going to happen next. Criminal protective orders, restraining orders, jail time, and a 52-week batterers treatment program are just a few of the potential consequences of a conviction. No one wants to end up in jail and no one wants to have a criminal record.
Guilty or not, the charges alone are life-changing. The ripple effect can be devastating. Your family, spouse, and children will also have their lives impacted. Knowing what to expect is the first step. This book is written to help educate you at this most difficult time. Knowing what to do and what can happen is critical. I want you to understand the process and the variables that could impact your case.
- What constitutes a domestic violent crime
- What happens if there is a criminal protective order
- What to do after an arrest
- What are aggravating factors
- Learn what to expect in court
- Varying consequences
- How will this impact your children