A police officer has many duties and responsibilities. One of which is removing inebriated motorists from the streets. However, what if a police officer needs help with a DUI charge? Such is the problem a police officer in San Luis Obispo is facing on a DUI charge.

There exists a possibility that a law enforcement officer will be duty-bound to bring in a colleague for allegedly having too much to drink. When an officer of the law needs independent representation for a fair chance in court, a criminal defense attorney in Rancho Cordova, such as Michael Chastaine, attorney-at-law, is the one to call.


The California Highway Patrol reported that an officer flagged down Travis Morris at the intersection of Marsh and Garden streets, in San Luis Obispo at 2:22AM on September 9, 2015. The officer on duty said the suspect showed erratic behavior while on the move, which necessitated pulling over the car. Morris was cited for DUI misdemeanor.

Testing Complications

In a booking for suspicion of DUI, California Vehicle Code Section 23612 mandates that the suspect undergo testing for blood alcohol content. The most common test is a breathalyzer. However, a blood test is also an option.

Your lawyer may warn you, however, that local laws mandate a first-offense suspension of your driver’s license for a year if you refuse either test.

More on the Suspect

DUI attorney like Mr. Chastaine may use positive attributes about you to argue to the court that you regret what happened and will work to prevent similar instances in the future. Officials said a suspect cited for DUI may be released without a need for detention if they meet prerequisites, such as having no criminal record, a licensed adult driver can bring them home, or are working in a “sensitive professional position.” Morris has no priors and he was able to call a friend to take him home.

A DUI charge should also be uses as a chance to reflect and sober up for the better, especially when you’re in a line of work that demands the utmost adherence to duty. Everyone deserves fair representation. Why not seek counsel today?